Grilled Mozzarella Sandwich with Walnut Pesto
This Grilled Mozzarella Sandwich is made with fresh tomatoes and walnut pesto grilled with sourdough bread. It's easy to assemble and bursting with flavor!
For the Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese sliced
- 4 beefsteak or roma tomatoes sliced
- 2 oz roasted red peppers jarred
For the Pesto
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- To make the pesto, place the basil, garlic, walnuts and Parmesan cheese in the food processor; season with salt and pepper, to taste, and blend. While the food processor is on, pour the olive oil slowly into the mixture in order to allow the olive oil to emulsify.
- Spread the pesto equally on the 4 slices of bread and place the bread on the panini maker or in a toaster oven for 2 minutes.
- Then place the mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and roasted red peppers on top of bread slices and allow the cheese to melt and the veggies to soften.
- Once the cheese melts, close the sandwich, cut and serve immediately
- If you have have pesto, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.