VEGGIES AND LENTILS IN PEANUT SAUCE
Veggies and Lentils in Peanut Sauce. Easy weeknight meal. Yes, add lentils to Thai Peanut Butter Sauce! Use other nut butters. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Yeast-free Corn-free Recipe.
For the peanut or almond sauce:
- 4 tbsp or more peanut butter or almond butter I usually use almond butter
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or use coconut aminos to make soy-free
- 1 to 2 tsp (1 or 2 tsp) lime juice
- zest of 1/2 a kaffir lime or regular lime
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) tamarind concentrate optional
- 2 to 3 teaspoons (2 to 3 tsp) Sriracha sauce or asian chili sauce to taste
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more cayenne
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1 Tbsp or more sugar
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) sesame oil
- 1 cup (226 ml) coconut milk
For the lentils:
- 1/2 cup (96 g) masoor dal, quick cooking split lentils washed and drained
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) water
For the Veggies:
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/3 cup (4.67 g) sliced red or white onion
- 1/2 cup (74.5 g) thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup (32 g) sliced carrots
- half a zucchini thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil sliced
- Blend all the ingredients under peanut sauce until smooth. Taste and adjust salt, sweet and spice if needed. Keep aside.
- Cook the lentils in 1.5 cups of water with a dash of salt and sugar, over medium heat for 10 minutes. The lentils will cook to just about done. If they are crunchy, cook a minute or so longer. Drain and keep aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and carrots and cook for another 2 minutes, Add in the zucchini and basil. Add some baby greens like spinach if you like.
- Add the peanut sauce and mix well. Add the lentils and mix in. Reduce heat to medium and bring the sauce to a boil. About 4 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt, sweet and spice. Check if the lentils are cooked to preference. Cook longer for softer lentils. Take off heat. Cover and let sit for another few minutes. Garnish with pepper flakes or cayenne and serve over rice, grains or wide noodles of choice.