Baked Mushroom Rice
The next time you’re after a mushroom recipe, look no further than this quick ‘n easy BAKED Mushroom Rice! It’s buttery, garlicky, with golden brown juicy mushrooms and the baked rice is beautifully fluffy.
- 650 g / 1.3 lb mushrooms , quartered (Note 1)
- 50 g / 3.5 tbsp butter , melted (hot, not cooled)
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves , minced (I use 3 - nice and garlicky!)
- Salt and pepper
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice , uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml chicken or vegetable broth , low sodium
- 1 1/4 cups / 315 ml water
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 shallots / green onions / scallions , finely sliced
- 1 - 2 tbsp butter , optional
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Place mushrooms in a large bowl. Pour over hot melted butter, add garlic, salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Place all the Rice ingredients in a baking pan - 22 x 33 cm / 9 x 13". Mine is 30 x 24 cm / 12 x 9.5" - don't need to be exact here, but don't stray too much from pan size.
- Mix and shake the pan to spread the rice out evenly.
- Spread the mushrooms over the rice - they will be partially submerged but should pretty much cover the whole surface area (to be the "lid" while the rice cooks).
- Drizzle over olive oil.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until mushroom is golden. Remove from oven and rest for 5 minutes.
- Finishes: Add extra butter (if using) and scallions. Toss through rice. Serve!